Welcome to Reception
At Norwich Road Academy we believe that the Early Years are critical in children’s development and that a good start in Reception builds a firm basis for future learning, development and independence.
We aim to:
- Provide a happy, secure, well-ordered and stimulating environment, where children can develop as independent individuals through interaction with familiar adults and other children.
- Offer a broad and balanced curriculum which extends previous learning and covers the seventeen strands of learning, as set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework.
- Ensure that children develop positive attitudes to learning, self-motivation, curiosity, confidence and responsibility.
- Provide children with first hand learning experiences rooted in purposeful play in which they can become actively engaged, expressing thoughts, ideas and feelings.
- To develop the whole child socially, spiritually, emotionally, physically, intellectually and aesthetically.
We are really looking forward to you joining our Reception class in September. There are lots of wonderful things for you to enjoy and we will do everything we can to make sure you are safe and happy.
Here are a few things you can do over the summer which will help you when you start school:
- Draw lots of pictures
- Visit the library and share lots of exciting story books
- Make a box all about you: Chatterbox (use a shoe box or tin. Decorate it. Put things in such as photos of people and pets who are special, a photo of your house, a favourite book, a birthday card with a number on from your last birthday, a favourite thing you play with, something from when you were a baby and anything else you want to share with us.
- Dress yourself and practice putting on your school clothes, your coat and your wellington boots
- Put on your own shoes and socks
- Practice pouring your own drink and using a knife and fork
- Use the toilet all by yourself and wash your hands when you have finished
- Unpeel different types of fruit (banana, orange, satsuma…)
- Collect interesting things such as stones, shells and sticks
- Spend lots of time outside running, jumping, climbing
- Laugh a lot
Please have a look through the links below for extra ideas and information on starting school:
- BBC Bitesize has lots of information for parents including toilet training tips, nursery rhymes, getting into a routine and many short videos about starting school. Please follow this link to explore the web-page – https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/collections/starting-primary-school/1
- Getting Ready For School Checklist
- Starting School Poster
- School Readiness
- PACEY Preparing for School Guide
- All About Me Worksheet